Friday, March 9, 2012

Butterfly

I have nothing close to a green thumb. In fact, dandelions are the only things I can grow with consistent success. That is why I am so proud of my butterfly bushes. Yes, I know no special care is needed and they will grow almost anywhere...but still. At our previous home I planted a start from one of my parents' bushes and it grew into a beautiful, ginormous bush with a natural arch - forming an inviting tunnel entry into the backyard. And here at our current home, near Mt. Baker where the growing season is months shorter than it is elsewhere, my three bushes bloom and beckon the butterflies to come and visit.
Butterflies are gentle, fragile and beautiful. But they don't start out that way. Butterflies begin life as caterpillars - long, lumpy with lots of legs. After a caterpillar eats its fill, it makes a chrysalis, somewhat liquefies itself, reorganizes and transforms into a butterfly. Even after years of research scientists do not fully understand this metamorphosis. But simply put the caterpillar changes; it gives up itself. And only when it gives up itself and changes do we see the beauty that is a butterfly. God could have made butterflies to begin life as butterflies but He didn't. He made self-sacrifice and change necessary for them to be all that He created them to be.
What we can learn from a caterpillar! Some of us are able to embrace change and others, like me, find it way too prickley to embrace. So as big change is looming on the horizon for us I find myself thinking about caterpillars and butterflies and hoping that I, too, can willingly give up my self, my dreams, my wants, embrace the change and emerge on the other side all that my Creator created me to be.

2 comments:

  1. This is beautiful!

    Such a profound post about creation!

    May I link this to my blog?

    ReplyDelete